At its first meeting on 30 July 1619, the General Assembly met in the “quire” of the Jamestown church. In 1641 the assembly moved into a building owned by former governor Sir John Harvey. Fire destroyed the assembly’s meeting spaces in 1655 and in 1657. Shortly after 1663 the General Assembly, then consisting of the governor’s Council and the House of Burgesses, met in a new statehouse, but that building was burned in 1676 when Nathaniel Bacon destroyed Jamestown. By 1685 the General Assembly had a new statehouse that included a porch. The building burned on Halloween 1698, and the government abandoned Jamestown for Middle Plantation, site of the newly chartered College of William and Mary.